1. Admission/Discharge Criterion for Acute Care Surgery Patients in the ICU: A General
Review of ICU Admission and Discharge Indications
2. Acute Respiratory Failure and Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome in ACS Patient: What
Are the Indications for Acute Intervention?
3. Nuts and Bolts of Ventilator Management: When Is Invasive or Noninvasive Mechanical
Ventilation Appropriate for Your Patient?
4. Principles of Weaning from Ventilatory Support: When and Why to Wean and When to
Consider a Tracheostomy
5. Circulatory Failure and Support in the ACS Patient: What Are the Optimal Methods of
Providing Circulatory Monitoring and Support?
6. Brain Injury in the ACS Patient: Nuts and Bolts of Neuromonitoring and Management
7. Renal Failure in the ACS Patient: Understanding Appropriate Fluid Management and Renal
8. Acute Hepatic Failure in the ACS Patient: Nuts and Bolts of Pathophysiology and Therapy
9. Shock, Resuscitation, and Fluid Therapy Strategies in Acute Care Surgery: From
Pathophysiology to Practice
10. Blood Therapy in the Acute Care Surgery Patient
11. Coagulation Derangements in the ACS Patient: Understanding and Addressing Acute
12. Nutrition and Metabolic Support of the ACS Patient: Understanding Goals and Ways to
13. Intra-Abdominal Hypertension, Abdominal Compartment Syndrome and the Open Abdomen:
Looking Beyond the Obvious to New Understandings in Pathophysiology, Harm-Reduction and
14. Infectious Complications: Understanding Appropriate Antibiotic Choice and Utilization
15. Ongoing Intraabdominal Infection Requiring ICU Care: Prioritizing Treatment Decisions
16. Ultrasound in the ICU: Nuts and Bolts for Managing the ACS Patient
17. Nuts and Bolts of Interventional Radiology: A Valuable Adjunct for the Care of the
ACS Patients in the ICU
18. Ethical Decisions and Dilemmas in the ACS Patients Requiring ICU: Understanding When
to Start and When to Stop
19. Intensive Care for Emergency Surgeons: Mass Casualties
20. The ACS Patient in Resource-Limited Setting: How to Get the Maximum from the Minimum!