Designed primarily for use by students and residents, but also helpful for anyone already in practice.
Publisher's Note: Products purchased from 3rd Party sellers are not guaranteed by the Publisher for quality,
authenticity, or access to any online entitlements included with the product.
With a full-color design and concise, easy-to-read chapters, Critical Care Medicine: The Essentials and a Bit More
covers the core elements of critical care, with a unique focus on the pathophysiology underlying clinical disorders
and how pathophysiologic concerns affect treatment options. There is much here that’s new: brand-new content, expanded
discussions, and more graphical elements than ever before. Chapters follow a consistent structural template, with
discussions of diagnosis, instrumentation, treatment and management techniques, and more. Expertly and succinctly
captures all the fundamentals of the field!
Emphasizes the pathophysiologic elements and treatments of illness and injury.
Now with updated drug info and more substantial coverage of interventional radiology, pregnancy care, and
organization of critical care.
Adds new, brief summaries that present opposing arguments of controversial points.
Topics range from intubation, ventilation, and pharmacotherapy, as well as drug overdoses, sepsis,
gastrointestinal bleeding,and other crisis care scenarios.
Enhance Your eBook Reading Experience
Read directly on your preferred device(s), such as computer, tablet, or smartphone.
Easily convert to audiobook, powering your content with natural language text-to-speech.
SECTION Ⅰ. TECHNIQUES AND METHODS IN CRITICAL CARE
1. Hemodynamics 1
2. Hemodynamic Monitoring 20
3. Shock and Support of the Failing Circulation 47
4. Arrhythmias, Pacing, and Cardioversion 68
5. Respiratory Monitoring 88
6. Airway Intubation 124
7. Elements of Invasive and Noninvasive Mechanical Ventilation 141
8. Practical Problems and Complications of Mechanical Ventilation 164
9. Positive End-Expiratory and Continuous Positive Airway Pressure 195
10. Discontinuation of Mechanical Ventilation 213
11. Intensive Care Unit Imaging 238
12. Acid-Base Disorders 274
13. Fluid and Electrolyte Disorders 292
14. Blood Conservation and Transfusion 311
15. Pharmacotherapy 326
16. Nutritional Support and Therapy 340
17. Analgesia, Sedation, Neuromuscular Blockade, and Delirium 354
18. General Supportive Care
19. Quality Improvement and Cost Control
SECTION Ⅱ. MEDICAL AND SURGICAL CRISES
20. Cardiopulmonary Arrest 421
21. Acute Coronary Syndromes 436
22. Hypertensive Emergencies 468
23. Venous Thromboembolism 480
24. Oxygenation Failure, ARDS, and Acute Lung Injury 498
25. Obstructive Disease and Ventilatory Failure 525
26. ICU Infections 547
27. Sepsis and Septic Shock 575
28. Thermal Disorders 595
29. Acute Kidney Injury and Renal Replacement Therapy 609
30. Clotting Problems, Bleeding Disorders, and Anticoagulation Therapy 626
31. Hepatic Failure 648
32. Endocrine Disturbances in Critical Care 661
33. Drug Overdose and Poisoning 684
34. Neurologic Emergencies 703
35. Chest and Abdominal Trauma 747
36. Acute Abdomen 764
37. Gastrointestinal Bleeding 785
38. Burns and Inhalation Injury 801